Who can enter?
Any resident of Yukon, NWT, Nunavut or Nunavik.
Rules: (not many)
Pumpkin should be started from seed, and dated, verification photos should be taken at these points: a) when planting the seed
b) end of each month after planting
c) when ready for harvesting or immediately after harvesting
(photos can be stills sent to email@example.com or can be video, posted to a Facebook page or a web site.
Start anytime. Judging October 1, 2021
- Best pumpkin grown mainly outdoors in Yukon
- Best pumpkin grown entirely in a greenhouse in Yukon
- Best pumpkin grown mainly outdoors in NWT
- Best pumpkin grown entirely in a greenhouse in NWT
- Best pumpkin grown mainly in a greenhouse in Nunavut
- Best pumpkin grown mainly in a greenhouse in Nunavik
The winner in each of the above categories will receive a gift certificate for the purchase of $200 worth of seeds from a reputable Canadian seed distributor.
The top prize will be for the best pumpkin grown in the north in 2021, selected from the winners in the territorial competitions. “Best” will be determined by a small panel of judges with agricultural experience. The top prize will be a hobby greenhouse, approximately 8 ft x 6ft shipped to your community. Assembly required.
Judging will be done by a small pane with agricultural experience, based on verified submissions received by Up Here. The winners will be residents of Yukon, NWT, Nunavut or Nunavik.
How to enter:
- Let us know you are entering the contest by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and telling us you’re growing a pumpkin.
- Use all your skills to grow a beautiful pumpkin.
- Send us pix of planting your pumpkin seed, and then at intervals as it starts to grow. We’ll feature some of these pix on the Up Here website
- When it has reached full size, have it reviewed and verified by someone in your community (teacher, hamlet manager, chief, clergy, etc)
- By Oct. 1, 2021, send final photo of the pumpkin (just before or after harvesting) to email@example.com.
- Wait for the decision of the judges.