Up Here Publishing Ltd.
Salary: $54,000-$69,000 (based on experience)
Location: Yellowknife, NWT
Benefits: Standard Up Here employee benefits program, including health and dental coverage, 15 days paid vacation per year.
Up Here Publishing is looking for a versatile writer with a strong work ethic to join our award-winning magazine in Yellowknife and help us tell stories about the North’s people, places, history, culture, and current events. Working with the editors, your role will be to produce several in-depth features and smaller magazine stories for each issue of Up Here and Up Here Business, as well as writing content for our website.
We’re looking for someone with a thorough knowledge of the North—its communities, history, priorities, and challenges. Are you constantly coming up with new story ideas? Are you sensitive to the challenges and opportunities that come with reporting in Indigenous communities? Are you as comfortable writing an in-depth environmental feature as you are composing a thrilling story about survival in the backcountry? We want to hear from you.
Primarily, we want you to write, write, write. The more passionate you are about your work, the more excited we are to work with you.
- A journalism degree or diploma, or related experience
- One-to-five years experience working in print media
- Strong reporting skills with an ability to meet strict deadlines
- Energetic and self-directed
- Strong northern knowledge and contacts
- Excellent research skills
- Adept at writing on multiple topics, from business and arts reporting to science and travel pieces
- Collaborative mindset. Able to work with editorial and production to put together feature packages, find solutions to challenges, and plan for the magazine’s future
- Comfortable with travel to remote communities
- A basic understanding of media law and copyright
- Methodical proofreading abilities
- Able to take a good photo
- Comfortable using social media
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Drupal CMS would be an asset.
Up Here is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, religion, disability or sexual orientation. Special consideration will be given to candidates from northern communities who have not yet had the opportunity to acquire the relevant university education or professional experience in journalism.
Independently owned, Up Here Publishing has been producing award-winning magazines for 36 years. Our readers are across the North, throughout Canada and all over the world.
Please send a cover letter, résumé and three writing samples to email@example.com as soon as possible. This advertisement will remain posted until we’ve hired the right candidate.
Advertising Sales Executive
Up Here Publishing Ltd.
Up Here Publishing is looking for an ad salesperson who is interested in a career in the publishing industry. Our four-person sales team works with clients in the North and across Canada to get their brand and messaging to Up Here magazine and Up Here Business’ targeted audiences. This is a full-time position. Remuneration includes base salary, plus bonuses and commission for achieving targets.
• meet set sales projections
• maintain, understand and expand an assigned client base
• ongoing contact with client base via magazine content updates and sales calls
• follow-ups and approvals on booked ads
• recording client contacts via our online ad sales program
• some travel to trade and consumer shows across the North and in southern Canada
• motivated, energetic self-starter
• well organized and able to handle stressful deadlines
• good oral and written communications skills
• strong customer service skills
• experience in sales and knowledge of the North and the northern economy are definite assets
Up Here Publishing, based in Yellowknife, has been producing award-winning magazines for 36 years. Up Here magazine, issued six times annually, reaches readers in southern and northern Canada, while Up Here Business, issued quarterly, is geared more to a northern audience. Our subscribers expect to get an insight into northern life and business from our publications and website. You would be joining a small, but very creative team of writers/editors, designers, marketers and circulation experts.
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org