Up Here magazine
Up Here Publishing is currently looking for a qualified editor for Up Here magazine. The editor is responsible for the overall editorial management of the publication, including editorial policy and planning, drawing up budgets, hiring staff as needed, assigning work to editorial staff and freelancers, and ensuring the magazine aligns with the expectations of our readers and the needs of our advertisers.
The editor works closely with the editorial team, the design team and freelancers to:
• Develop an annual editorial plan and per issue plans
• Assign articles and photo shoots in line with the plan
• Ensure deadlines are met
• Write feature articles
• Edit/rewrite submitted articles
• Review final proof of each issue
• Conduct post mortem meetings after each issue is published
• Liaise with advertising and circulation departments
• Understanding of how magazines work via at least five years’ magazine experience
• Ability to plan issues and stick to plans
• Creative, with a passion for new ideas
• Great writing skills – from feature articles to headlines
• Ability to edit and mold a mediocre article into a great article
• Able to manage editorial staff, freelancers and relationships with other divisions of the
• Well organized and good administrative skills
Up Here magazine will be celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2019. The magazine has a subscription base mainly in southern Canada, is sold on newsstands across Canada, is the inflight magazine for Canadian North, and is widely distributed across the three northern territories. Over the years it has won numerous awards, including being named Canada’s Magazine of the Year in 2010 and being judged the top magazine in western Canada four times, most recently in 2014.
Up here Publishing has a small staff of 12 and publishes Up Here magazine, Up Here Business and some contract publications. The company is headquartered in Yellowknife, NT.
We hope to fill this position no later than early January, 2019, in order to ensure some overlap with the existing editor. Apply to email@example.com
Advertising Sales Executive
Up Here Publishing Ltd.
Up Here Publishing is looking for an ad sales person who is interested in a career in the publishing industry. Our four-person sales team works with clients in the North and across Canada to get their brand and messaging to Here magazine and Here Business’ targeted audiences. This is a full time position. Remuneration includes base salary, plus bonuses and commission for achieving targets.
• meet set sales projections
• maintain, understand and expand an assigned client base
• ongoing contact with client base via magazine content updates and sales calls
• follow-ups and approvals on booked ads
• recording client contacts via our online ad sales program
• some travel to trade and consumer shows across the North and in southern Canada
• motivated, energetic self starter
• well organized and able to handle stressful deadlines
• good oral and written communications skills
• strong customer service skills
• experience in sales and knowledge of the North and the northern economy are definite assets
Up Here Publishing, based in Yellowknife, has been producing award-winning magazines for 35 years. Up Here magazine, issued eight times annually, reaches readers in southern and northern Canada, while Up Here Business, issued quarterly, is geared more to a northern audience. Our subscribers expect to get an insight into northern life and business from our publications and website. You would be joining a small, but very creative team of 12 writers/editors, designers, marketers and circulation experts.
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org